Putting yourself first has gotten a bad rap because it’s so often equated with being selfish. As ‘ good Christians’ we’ve been brainwashed to believe that self-love and heaven just don’t mix! Actually, I think the concept of self-empowerment or self-love was just a bit too threatening for the good old boy’s club–just my opinion! You laugh, but these beliefs are deeply embedded in our psyches. As much as we’d like to deny them, old remnants remain.
I would like to clarify the distinction. Self-love is self-empowerment. I believe this is what we’re here on earth to learn and to teach. Self-love means that you value your worth as a spiritual being having a human experience. Self-love means that you realize that you must put your oxygen mask on first. Self-love is our highest expression, our highest privilege and our highest responsibility.
- I treat myself like I would treat a favorite loved one: adult, child or pet
- I speak only words of love and support to myself
- I give myself plenty rest, sleep and a good diet
- I maintain good boundaries with others
- I know my “no’s” and I know my “yeses”
- I am authentic. I speak up for myself
- If you don’t approve of me, it’s not my business
Lack of Self-Love (selfish) Implies:
- I put others before me because I fear they won’t like me
- My words and actions are often fueled by ‘not good enough’
- I feel like I have something to prove
- I secretly carry the belief that if others knew me they wouldn’t like me
- I should sacrifice because that’s what I was taught
- Hard work makes me a worthy person
- I get ‘points’ in heaven for being a martyr
- To be unworthy qualifies me for ‘Sainthood’
- That I can blame then incubate resentment
- At the heart of my giving is the belief that I am not enough.
I invite you to have fun with this as you examine which beliefs resonate with you. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Just use your best sense of humor. Remember, you can’t change what you don’t acknowledge.
Loving yourself is a practice and a process. Know that it is often two steps forward and one step back. That’s okay. Just remember to resist beating yourself up when you fall on your face. Give yourself kudos and chose again.
Self love is a great topic to tap on. Please email me if you would love help getting started. I’m here for you…